Flip Side of Affiliate Marketing
My Experiments with Affiliate MarketingI thought about experimenting with affiliate marketing and wrote some posts related to affiliate marketing. Two major promoted affiliate marketing merchant sites were Amazon.com and Hosting websites. I wrote couple of posts related to that and done some marketing.
Check them out.
Amazon Affiliate Marketing Posts
1. 5 American Made Kitchen Appliances Products Buy in USA
3. 5 Best Selling Natural Organic Oil Products 2017
4. 5 Adorable Toy Ship For Children Shipped in USA
Hosting Website Affiliate Marketing Posts
1. 16 Best Shared Wordpress Hosting 2017 Compared
2. 5 Efficient Web Hosting Plans with Prons and Cons
Do you want to know how much I earned from these posts from the date of publishing these posts till today: ZERO.
Here is an image of Amazon affiliate home page clicks that I got and all the other statistics.
Amazon Affiliate Marketing Statistics
I have around 110 clicks in the stats which means users has clicked the product link and redirected to Amazon.com for 110 times. Not a single purchase was made by the user. I have added products that are less than 5 dollars to more than 100 dollars. This way I can ensure which product will have high conversion rate. Unfortunately users did not buy anything.
Authentic Websites Gets More ConversionI think is was majorly because the site was not an authentic niche website for similar products. If the site was discussing only about a particular product then the conversion would have been higher. For new bloggers, this type of affiliate marketing is not be suitable and will not generate any revenue.
Web Hosting Affiliate Marketing ReportHere is the screenshot of web hosting affiliate marketing report.
"We have a standard hold period of 30 days before paying out an affiliate sale to make sure that the referred client actually stays with us past the 30-day money-back period and actively uses their account. We will review this sale 30 days after the purchase date and if it meets our payout requirements, you will receive a commission for it and its status will become Paid."
If the user decide to change the web host or take the money back because of bad experience from web hosting company, then you will not get any money. This is the reality of affiliate marketing.
Concentrated Power on Merchant SitesBloggers spend enormous amount of time to write posts on affiliate marketing products and end up getting 3 or 5 sales maximum. Out of that 1-2 users end up changing web hosting company or decide to take money back. Blogger get NOTHING at the end of the day.
Merchant sites have all the "power" to decide whether they should pay you or not. On the pay day, they may cut down your pay saying that some users took their money back or some sales were not done properly.
Lack of Effective Reporting SystemMost of the affiliate sites lack an effective reporting system. Bloggers write reviews, add links, banners and do all kinds of social networking to generate leads. The Googleanalytics reportswill showhigh amount of traffic and high engagement rate for these posts. But the merchant site will show only 3-4 unique clicks and no sales.
There are couple of issues in tracking the clicks and sales which reduces the revenue of the blogger.
1. No Link Tracking - Users read the review and directly go to the merchant site and bookmark the product or service and buy later. The merchant site do not consider this as a sale.
3. Merchant site uses caches to track leads - If the user delete the cache, you end up having no revenue.
Methods of tracking leads, clicks, sales are different from one merchant site to another. It is better to check how a specific affiliate merchant site is tracking the leads from your website.
Qualified Purchase In Affiliate MarketingEach merchant site defines what is qualified purchase. An affiliate like you and me gets money only when the sale meets the definition of qualified purchase.
Things to Remember Before Doing Affiliate Marketing
If a merchant site has strict rules like keeping an active account of ninety days, it would be better not to go for that. If a user get disappointed with the service of the product or service and decide to change, then you will end up having no revenue.
Minimum threshold Amount
Cap in Earnings
Restrictions on Activities of an Affiliate
- Affiliate should not offer any kind of cash back, rewards or other incentives to drive traffic to the affiliate links.
- Affiliate should not put ad links on pop-up/under and SPAM pages.
- Affiliate should not engage in banner exchanges, click exchanges, cookie stuffing techniques, Domain forwarding, creating fraudulent accounts, masking, redirecting or tampering of affiliate links and CPV advertising.
- Affiliate should not use trademark of the merchant site and misspelled keywords in their domain names.
- Affiliate should not claim to be linked with the company.
- Affiliate should comply with all laws of their own country and complete necessary legal documentation.
Minimum Monthly Sales
RejectionFew merchants require certain amount of traffic to your site from certain countries in order to approve for affiliate marketing. Some requires traffic from US, UK and Canada especially and they reject sites that have less traffic from these countries.
Affiliate Marketing Tips For Beginners
1. Read on terms and reference - How can a beginner understand these terms like recurring commission or a minimum threshold.
2. Make a website or a blog in Wordpress - Why don't beginners think about affiliate marketing without a site. Eg: YouTube marketing.
3. Put link in FaceBook, Twitter - Social media sites are good for starting out and need no investment. It is hard to sustain number of sales.
4. Build an Email List - These days everyone gets some kind of promotional emails. Beginners should think creatively.
5. Do SEO - Doing SEO will only improve traffic if you have enough content. It will not improve conversion rate.
6. Outsource - If you have enough money to spend, you can outsource all the content creation to someone else. Whether you will achive good profit or not is another matter.
Most of the merchants are having customers only because affiliates send them customers. Affiliate Blogs and websites are not just lead generation tools but free customer generation tools for these companies.
They earn so much per customer where the affiliate is just getting a mere commission for the first sale. Most of the merchants do not offer recurring commission and that my friend, is the reality of affiliate marketing.
Kindly spend 5 seconds to share this post